So, you are travelling/roaming abroad and don’t want to be charged those horrendous fees for data services? Using my Blackberry 9700 Bold this is what I did to ensure that I used free WiFi connections abroad:
1) Options->WiFi: and connect to your free WiFi service
2) Options->Mobile Network->Data Services: ON
3) Options->Mobile Network->WhileRoaming: OFF
4) Network selection->Automatic
5) In the BB Browser->Options->General Properties->Default Browser->Hotspot Browser
That should do it :)
Now my WhatsApp, BBM, browsing works
Thanks to this post that helped me figure this out: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/235028-cant-connect-wifi.html
Of course, you could decide that you want to be mobile and not “tied” to the WiFi in your hotel or office – so you should then purchase a local SIM card and put it into your phone and use the local GSM network. But remember that with a Blackberry phone - you need to buy a BIS package otherwise your phone cannot access the Internet AT all!
In other words, if you just buy a prepaid SIM card you can't use WhatsApp or Viber or similar - it won't work without a BIS package! Perhaps you should then take another phone (eg: iPhone or Nokia or Android or whatever other non-BB phone) with you on holiday.