Tuesday 18 August 2009

So your laptop didn’t come with ‘Home’ nor ‘End’ buttons? No problem just remap the keys

It’s so frustrating!  How the hell did they (Dell) design a keyboard that doesn’t have a single-press ‘Home’ or ‘End’ key?  What were they thinking – wait, I know, “Let’s make more money by saving on those extra 2 keys!”.

Well, I could take it no longer!  Pressing ‘Fn-LeftArrow’ for ‘Home’ and ‘Fn-RightArrow’ for ‘End’ was getting me down.  So, I turned to the little trick that I wrote about when I had problems with Google’s Picasa app:  Remap your keys.

Here’s the trick:
"I was able to remap 2 keys using KeyTweak (http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/) and the problem was solved."  Sure, I lost the functionality of 2 other keys, but I hardly ever used those two keys.

Thanks to Travis Krumsick for KeyTweak!

More details: I downloaded the KeyTweak program from here: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/KeyTweak_install.exe

Run the KeyTweak program, then I chose to remap the ‘Page Up’ button to ‘Home’, and the ‘Page Dn’ button to ‘End’, using KeyTweak's virtual Keyboard:
click on the button corresponding to where your ‘Page Up’ button is: ie: 85
then click on "Choose new remapping",
then use the pull down list to select ‘Home
then press the "Remap Key",then press "Apply".

Repeat this for the ‘Page Dn’ to ‘End’ remapping.
 
The remapping will then get written into the Windows Registry, and
you will then need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Live Traffic Feed

 

Be notified of
page updates
it's private
powered by
ChangeDetection

Copyright © 2008 HandyTechTipper. All articles are released under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 South Africa license, unless where otherwise stated.